Sunday, July 12, 2009

Learning Visual C++ and Visual Basic resources?

Does anyone have any good suggestions for resources/books/websites to start learning object oriented coding, Visual Basic and Visual C++.





I did computer programming back in college (approx 18 yrs ago) but didn't learn hardly any object oriented coding. I dabbled in some small projects post college, just to make life easy for myself in processing data etc in Qucik C for the most part, but now I find I am a bit behind the curve.





I got Visual Studio 2005 (the standard edition) a few weeks ago and want to start developing some simple apps again (in part for hobby but also to build up some skills and maybe generate some add ons for my parent companies own products based on an API).





TIA





Paul

Learning Visual C++ and Visual Basic resources?
Paul - If you are just getting back into it, I would go with Visual C# in the Visual Studio 2005 environment.





C# is a lot like Java - it is much more robust than Visual Basic, and not as arcane as C++ can be.





Good resources for C# are the Deitel books for learning reference, and Erik Brown's Windows Forms in Actions, which will teach you a lot about C# and .NET while developing a working application. Use Deitel and the online C#/.NET documentation to fill out Brown.


http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Forms-Acti...


http://www.amazon.com/Programmers-2nd-De...





I just think you will be wasting your time trying to pick up the other languages.





But if you want to have a go at Visual C++, I think Ivor Horton's book is an excellent starter book.


http://www.amazon.com/Hortons-Beginning-...
Reply:Hey Paul...Karl Moore's "Visual Basic.Net - The Tutorials" is probably considered the best source on the planet for fast, easy, and actually fun to learn VB and everything in-between...especially if you don't really like the dreaded textbook style of teaching. Do an amazon search.


No comments:

Post a Comment