Tuesday, July 14, 2009

To be hired as a Windows programmer, what programming languages do I need to know?

I have a B.S. degree in Computer Science from several years ago, but no real work experience in programming for MS Windows.


I am taking a certification class in Visual Basic .NET, and will be taking several more in .NET ADO, .NET ASP, and SQL Server 2000. I have some experience in C/C++, but not for Windows programming. Do most companies expect me to know ALL of Windows programming? Because .NET insulates you from having to know the Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFC), or even the Win 32 API. Are companies expecting me to know Visual C++ or Visual C#? I guess it depends on the company, but I'm looking for answers from people who have worked in a Windows programing environment. Thank you so much.

To be hired as a Windows programmer, what programming languages do I need to know?
It depends on where you're hired. Most companies doing Win32 application development are using .Net, or C++ for really complicated apps. If you're writing Windows applications, bet on using .Net and a language like VB or C#. MFC isn't used that much anymore, and in fact .Net is really a better replacement for it.





Companies would expect you to know how to do things with Windows programs, usually program familiar easy to use features (nice looking lists and grids, drag and drop, etc...).





Most companies are doing web development these days, not so much Windows applications. If you want to focus on Windows, I can't stress how important learning the Windows API (the traditional C API). All Windows programming frameworks are based on this, and knowing the low level functionality is extremely helpful in learning how the OS works.


No comments:

Post a Comment